Sunday, August 8, 2010

Glo-Mesh History Mystery


A lot of people wonder where Glo-Mesh handbags come from; and why they are so hard to find after being so popular for such a short period of time.  I've done some digging around and found a few little-known facts about this very collectible, must-have for every woman.

As it was mostly produced in the 70s and 80s, but not exclusively – silver mesh had a bit of a following in the 60s with companies like the US-based Whiting and Davis that were producing mesh well before this.
The mesh came in a range of basic colours, along with some less common and more collectable ones.
However, the term ‘Glomesh’ is the official trademark of the company you asked about (Glo International Australia). If it isn’t labelled ‘Glomesh’ then the item should be referred to as simply ‘mesh’ or ‘alumesh'.  
‘Glomesh’ was manufactured in Australia and so, many Glomesh designs have a four digit design number somewhere on the label of the bag. This can be of assistance in dating the item.  However, if you've bought your bag at a charity or second-hand store, the tag may have been cut or worn out.
If you’re lucky enough to find a swing tag attached to the item, this will help in dating it. 60s bags have swing tags/sticker labels with a sort of rounded triangular shape, like a plectrum; later ones have a square tag with a gold ‘G’ on it.
If the original box comes with the item, this too can help you date it – older boxes have printed off-white cardboard that’s designed to look like glomesh; later boxes are grey with thin diagonal pink stripes and white lettering.
Cheaper mesh, which mostly seems to come from Hong Kong or China, will tarnish easily and is generally not worth your while (unless it’s an amazing shape or colour or something).

There are three most reputable brands of mesh:
Australia – Glomesh (Glo International Australia) and Park Lane
USA
– Gold Crest and Whiting and Davis (USA)
Germany
– Oroton

That’s about all it I found find about Glo-Mesh (alu-mesh).  Never underestimate the value of talking to the older generation. Even ladies (and some gents) who don’t take an interest seem to know the difference between Oroton and ‘Made in Hong Kong’. 

If you go into an antiques shop/fair/market where people seem to be selling loads of mesh, they will probably be wonderful founts of wisdom. You can also check fashion magazines from the 70s and 80s, which will probably assist you in identifying designs and trends of the period.

I got all this information from a wonderful website from Google.   All of this information was gleaned from a blog site; as I couldn't find anything about these particular types of bags.  I've been obtaining a lot of my history from my parents and other people who used to own Glo-mesh or other mesh bags.

14 comments:

  1. this was really helpful, I was never able to find info about mesh and I love it. :)thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're welcome! I'm so happy this is still being read 2 years after I posted it. :D

      Delete
  2. The original Glomesh brand is back baby!! www.glomesh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Thank you so much! I'll have to put that site up on the sidebar. I appreciate your comment. :D

      Delete
  3. I worked for The Kolotex Group of Companies for 14 years as secretary to the Queensland Manager; I was also the office manager and State Sales Coordinator. We started off in Heindorf House, Queen Street, Brisbane with just the manager and myself.

    Early 1970 we moved into new premises, which consisted of office space, warehouse, staff room and 3 showrooms in Baxter Street, Fortitude Valley - and 11 more staff members. In the late Seventies we packed everything and everyone up again, and moved into premises in Chester Street, Fortitude Valley.

    In the early Seventies, Kolotex took over Glo International (Glomesh products) as well as Rogtex Mens and Women's wear. They both became part of the Kolotex Group of Companies. Kolotex, of course, were hosiery manufacturers of note.

    Just a little bit of history that I thought might be of interest to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I run a contemporary jewelry gallery in waterloo, sydney and yesterday a gentleman came in as some glomesh jewelry we have had caught his eye. Turns out he used to manufacture park lane mesh! He still has all the machinery. Sadly the cheaper mesh made in China killed off the Australian production. He said he would bring me in some of the original mesh that hehas left. Fascinated and can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coins are too expensive which is use in festivals and also others family functions. And coins (gold, silver, platinum, antique) also use in traditions. But sometimes when it’s too many and you are scared to lose it then why you don’t sell it and get paid. All kind of coins sell and buy in here.
    Coin Buyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my passions is collecting Glowmesh products , I have about handbags, coin purses , lipstck cases but would love to be able to find a cigarette case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I haven't been in this blog for so long! I'm so sorry for not replying as soon as I should have.

      I was on Facebook just today and somebody asked about the history about Glo-mesh and I dug up my article about it here... and your comment was here. I apologise again!

      I love collecting Glomesh bags and purses. However the cigarette cases are harder to find these days - even at charity/op-shop stores.

      Delete
  9. I have a Glomesh bag and was wondering if anyone can help me ID it. Please send me an email and I will send the images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^^^ My email is jared.wvx@gmail.com if anyone can help in respect to the above post ^^^^
      Thanks guys 😊👍

      Delete
  10. You forgot to mention one of the biggest in USA, Mandalian Manufacturing Company. Also Oroton (though many made in West Germany) is an Australian company. Hate it when poeple dont get facts right!!

    ReplyDelete